What is pigmentation?
Melasma, also known as hormonal pigmentation, is a considerable problem for South African women. It is a chronic skin condition that occurs on the face, in the form of brown patches and is a dynamic (active) condition that needs lifelong management.
What causes Hormonal Pigmentation / Melasma?
- UVA rays are a stimulant for melanin (brown pigmentation) to develop on the skin and unfortunately can even penetrate through car window glass.
- Any change in hormonal status with higher levels of estrogen is thought to trigger and aggravate the condition (i.e. birth control pills and pregnancy). Discontinuing the use of contraceptives rarely clears the pigmentation and it may last for many years after discontinuation.
- After pregnancy Melasma (chloasma) or pigmentation usually clears within a few months of delivery but may persist indefinitely.
- Many women without these risk factors also develop melasma.
- Any activities that cause intense heat to the face(from steam showers, hot closed environments, sitting on the beach even under cover and with full sun protection, etc causes inflammation which is a powerful stimulator of melanin.
- It is more prevalent in darker-complexioned individuals, though persons of any race can be affected due to the intense sun exposure in South Africa.
- Melasma is seen most frequently in young women but can be seen in men.
- Alpha Hydroxy Peels/Beta Hydroxy Peels/TCA Peels – Peels are procedures that renew the skin by lifting dead cells off the surface of your skin and stimulating metabolism of the cells underneath. With a series of Peels you can quickly achieve substantial improvement in the appearance of superficial lines and uneven pigmentation, while making your skin look and feel softer, smoother and more radiant. Acne scars and enlarged pores may become less noticeable and acne breakouts may be reduced.
- Microdermabrasion – Microdermabrasion is a procedure that renews the skin by lifting dead cells off the surface of your skin, by gently polishing your skin with crystals. At Skin renewal we use the Mattioli Crystal or Medical Microdermabrasion device which is able to perform a much stronger exfoliation which can treat stretch marks and deeper wrinkles.
- Chemibrasion – Chemibrasion ™ is an innovative non-invasive rejuvenating treatment mask peel concept that adds a new dimension to professional superficial peeling with the added benefits of rejuvenation and restoration without aggression or negative side effects. Nimue’s Chemibrasion™ is different to all other procedures in that it offers a safe and slow delivery of a unique and powerful blend of active ingredients that exfoliate and rejuvenate the skin in all skin classifications, resulting in alleviating the effects of time, sun damage and environmental assaults on the skin.
- Laser Genesis Rejuvenation – Laser Genesis ™ skin therapy is an innovative, technologically advanced way to promote vibrant and healthy looking skin in men and women of all skin types. The Laser Genesis™ procedure has been scientifically proven to produce new collagen. The Laser Genesis ™ procedure utilizes non-invasive laser technology to safely, discretely and effectively improve those conditions that are typically associated with premature signs of ageing and sun damage, such as excessive redness, large pores, uneven texture, sallow complexion, acne scars and wrinkles with no pain or downtime.
- Limelight – The Limelight™ Facial is a new, non-invasive approach to skin rejuvenation which can be customized for different skin tones and ageing skin conditions .The result is an exceptionally effective skin rejuvenation treatment with minimal discomfort.
- Photo Genesis – IPL Photo Genesis ™ , alternatively known as photorejuvenation, involves a series of gentle treatments designed to rejuvenate ageing and sun damaged skin, utilizing light. These non-invasive, no down-time procedures improve redness, sunspots, fine lines, uneven tone and pore size to restore youthful skin to the face, neck, chest, and hands.
Why should I do it?
- All of the above procedures are non-invasive, superficial, quick and has no downtime.
- Promote vibrant and healthy looking skin.
- Restore youthful skin to the face, neck, chest, and hands.